Model Standing Orders il1 respect of Industrial Establishments not being industrial Establishments in Coal Mines
1. These orders shall come into force on Classification of workmen
2. Classification of workmen
a. Workmen shall be classified as –
b. A “permanent” workman is a workman who has been engaged on a permanent basis and includes any person who has satisfactorily completed a probationary period of three months in the same or another occupation in the industrial establishment, including breaks due to sickness, accident, leave, lock-out, strike (not being an illegal strike) or involuntary closure of the establishment.
c. A “probationer” is a workman who is provisionally employed to fill a permanent vacancy in a post and has not completed three months’ services therein.. If a permanent employee is employed as a probationer in a new post he may, at any time during the probationary period of three months, be reverted to his previous permanent post.
d. A “badli” is a workman who is appointed in the post of a permanent workman or probationer who is temporarily absent.
e. A “temporary” workman is a workman who has been engaged for work which is of an essentially temporary nature likely to be finished within a limited period.
f. A “casual” workman is a workman whose employment is of a casual nature.
g. An “apprentice” is a learner who is paid an allowance during the period of his training.
h. Every workman shall be given a permanent ticket unless he is a probationer, badli, temporary worker or apprentice.
i. Every permanent workman shall be provided with a departmental ticket showing his number, and shall, on being required to do so, show it to any person authorised by the manager to inspect it.
3. Every badli shall be provided with the badli card on which shall be entered the days on which he has worked in the establishment,’ and which shall be surrendered if he obtains permanent employment.
4. Every temporary workman shall be provided with a ‘temporary’ ticket which he shall surrender on his discharge.
5. Every casual worker shall be provided with a ‘casual’ card, on which shall be entered the days on which he has worked in the establishment.
6. Every apprentice shall be provided with an ‘apprentice’ card, surrendered if he obtains permanent employment.